Why settle for eating a traditional plantain mofongo, when you can try something different and delicious using breadfruit as the main ingredient? This mofongo is going to delight you and your whole family. You can use it as a side or serve with your favorite protein. Imagine it served with chicken, shrimp, fish or even churrasco. You can also make small mofongo balls for a delicious snack.
- 1 package of Mi Cosecha Breadfruit Chunks
- 1/2 pound of Pork Rinds
- 3 minced garlic grains (or 3 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro (additional)
- Soak the breadfruit chunks in four cups of water with a tablespoon of salt for 15 minutes and then drain them well.
- In a large skillet, heat enough vegetable oil or shortening over medium heat. Add the breadfruit chucks and fry slowly, about 15 minutes, until they are cooked without toasting. Dry them with absorbent paper.
- In a basin, add the garlic and olive oil. If you want you can add fresh cilantro (Coriander). Add the breadfruit chunks and mix well using a mortar. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. You can form several whole mofongos to serve as a side dish or you can use your hands to create small mofongo balls to serve as an appetizer.
- For a healthier version, you can skip the pork rinds.